Friday, August 13, 2010

our vulnerability and helping each other


This blog has detailed my many biking adventures and the joys of doing this activity as we age. I am accustomed to asking folks who are off their bikes along the sides of the roads if they are OK?? Most time they are fine. Today I was not on my bike but coming home in my car from picking berries and nectarines from my local "u-pic-um" farm. I see a neighbor sitting on the grass at the side of the road with a dog who appears to be down as well.

Lo and behold my neighbor was indeed in need of help. The dog was merely comforting her as she lay in pain. She had fallen and had either broken her ankle or sprained it badly. The dog was not her dog. She was walking a neighbor's dog and slipped on the wet grass. She was as pale as a sheet and desperately needing help. My son and I got her and the dog into the car, we took the dog home and retrieved my neighbor's purse and took her to the ER.

I left all my phone numbers with her in case she needs a ride home. Not sure if she has other folks she can call. This lady is a loner. She lives alone and I never see anyone at her home. I know her as we both have lived here forever. My heart ached for her when I saw her stranded on the side of road.

Like me, she is getting older. She and I are now the resident old farts in the neighborhood. The older folks have died off and young families have moved into their homes. My greatest strength is that I am a nosy neighbor. I do notice folks. I know everyone's pets and cars and whatnot. I would recognize anyone even if I did not know their names.

Lesson to be learned is that as we age, carry your cell phone, even when walking a dog. You never know when you might go down. I wear ROAD ID as well when biking but I am thinking maybe it is not a bad idea to wear it all the time. Lucky for my neighbor I know her. I could help. I am heading back to the hospital to see what is up. I have called several times and she was still in the ER.

No comments: